Running 2 routers- an RT-n16 with Tomato (toastman) as the primary and a DIR-615 rev I1 (atheros) with DDWRT build 21061 as the client. I used to have ddwrt on both, but changed to tomato on the primary as its usb print server actually works. Since switching the primary to TomatoUSB, the client router has started dropping the signal frequently. It will work for 5 minutes, then drop the signal for 30 seconds or a minute. When the signal is dropped I can't connect to the internet or to any other devices on my network, but devices on my primary network sometimes CAN connect to my secondary router-i.e. my PC, wired directly to the primary, can access the ddwrt router even though the computer on the ddwrt router CANNOT access the primary router or the internet. Then, without power cycling or changing any settings, it reconnects. It is really annoying. I have tried changing all sorts of settings with no fix.
I know that in theory, the firmware on my primary router shouldn't matter, but it worked 100% when I had dd-wrt and isn't working with tomato. I have tried every setting change I can think of on both ends and am going crazy.
I followed the instructions for Atheros chipsets on the wiki at the ddwrt wiki and the settings are exactly what the wiki says to make them. It worked before, when both were dd-wrt, but no longer (well, it sort of works…)
I am wondering if I should try a different build of dd-wrt, or try WDS instead of repeater bridge on the secondary, or what. The second router is only connected via ethernet to a PC so I was avoiding that as unnecessary, but if you guys think it might work better, I'll try it.