I have an Asus RT-N12 router running Tomato v1.28.9054. It has been working great for a few years. Recently, it started having issues described below, and the problems come up more and more frequently.
1. no outgoing connections through browser or ping.
2. remote desktop from outside the router to a home PC works fine (porting forwarding works).
3. machines on LAN work fine (switch works)
4. web server running behind the router can receive connection from remote clients (port forwarding works)
5. power off the router and power back on temporarily fixes the problem, but the problem became more and more frequent.
My questions are:
Is this a hardware or software problem? If hardware, why can I still connect to it (incoming connections are fine).
If this is firmware problem, why it didn't happen before? Is there a fix?
Thank you very much!