Hi everyone, I'm new to Tomato. I've tried using DD-WRT on a previous router, but had a lot of unstable problems. I now have a brand new RT-N16 and looking to flash a firmware produced by Tomato by Shibby (tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-MIPSR2-088-Mega-VPN.trx) to the RT-N16.
I need to install strongvpn's openvpn into this router, so that we Canadians (I live in Canada) can see a lot of the American television online.
- I have a wireless modem supplied to me by my ISP (we will call this Modem A), this is in the basement
- I have a Airport Extreme N attached to Modem A and is distributing the internet signal to all the hardwares at home currently
- I am looking to Flash my RT-N16 (this will be placed on the 2nd floor) and link it to Modem A wirelessly, and people can login to this modem through a different SSID - so I presume I'm going to setup this modem as a Repeater
1) Can I install Shibby's firmware build ((tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-MIPSR2-088-Mega-VPN.trx)) directly to the Asus RT-N16 router, or do I have to flash it with another firmware first and then upgrade it?
2) In my setup section, I explained how I would like to network my routers, can you please suggest if I'm doing the right stuff (eg. repeater vs repeater bridge, etc…) or am I overseeing an easier way to do this? But keep in mind, I do need the RT-N16 installed upstairs or else the router is too far and my connection will be too weak.
3) Is there an instruction step-by-step to Tomato Shibby flashing the RT-N16? I read and read over and over again the instructions written on tomatousb, but still confused on how to use the asus firmware utility, the file i downloaded is a zip file is this correct? Also nowhere in the instruction it teaches me when to start installing shibby's firmware, can someone please please help me!!!
4) the build that I mentioned is that a stable build? Would you suggest if it is one of the best and most stable build? I need to put OPENVPN, and use the USB cables and need to make the range longer and speed fasterl
Thank you for all your help in advance. I'm really confused here =) Thanks.