The problem: I have a Linksys E3000 (running E3000USB-NVRAM60K-1.28.7493MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-VPN) as a base station hooked up to 2 Airport Expresses via WDS. Wireless printing and internet work fine via the AE's, but audio streaming stutters/pauses every 30 seconds. What's interesting about that, is that it's not a random 30 seconds, when watching on my computer's clock, it happens at the 55 and 25 second marks… consistently.
Additional Details on config:
- I'm running the WDS on the 2.4GHz band, with no security, G wireless mode,
- I access the router/network via the 5GHz band and/or Cat5. Doing this I'm still able to access the WDS network for wireless printing.
- The 5GHz band is running WPA2 Personal with AES encryption.
- Beacon interval is set to 25 (for both 2.4 & 5 GHz bands)
- I've tried changing wireless channels (EG 1, 5, 6, 11) for the WDS setup, with no change/benefit.
- I DO NOT have this issue when…
- I stream directly to the AE (i.e. not through the E3000 using WDS)
- When I connect directly to the 2.4GHz band everything runs fine. This seems to only happen on PCs connecting by Cat5, as well as when I connect through the 5GHz band.
- I'm currently using iTunes on Mac (5GHz band) and Win7 (Cat5) machines. After I get rid of the issue ironed out I'm planning on using Airfoil to stream Spotify from the Win7 pc.
- So why the setup with separate bands with separate wireless modes? The Win7 pc is setup as a Plex server, so I want to have "N" speed for the wireless devices (laptops, iPad, etc). I can't run N speed through the WDS because the AEs are older G units.
So, to me it seems like…
- it's tied to some sort of clock cycle in the E3000?
- something might be happening during the pass-off between wired/5GHz and the 2.4GHz band?
Thanks for any thoughts/input/help.