i apologize for the length, but i want to be thorough because i am completely puzzled. i am running win7 x64. i have done lots of googling for installation tutorials and have been very detailed in following them each to the letter.
- i am hard wired into lan1 on the router. my wireless card is off. windows firewall is off
- tcpip v4 is set on my lan adapter to 192.168.1.2 / 255.255.255.0
- the n16 has the latest asus firmware, hard and soft reset to the defaults (not that this should matter)
- holding "RESTORE" on the back while unplugged, i plug in the power and wait for the power light to slowly blink on and off. (this does not work holding the "WPS" button even though some tutorials have suggested it). i now believe the router to be in recovery mode since i cant connect to it in a browser.
- i can successfully ping 192.168.1.1
- i have installed the utilities off the CD. and uninstalled them and also tried this with utilities 184.108.40.206 at the website (cant provide link due to forum rules)
- neither the "device discovery" nor the "firmware restoration" programs find the router to send tomato over. i only get no devices found messages after 30 seconds or so.
i do not understand why this is. is there an alternate to getting the tomato firmware over to the router that wont brick it?