Been trying for days… first of all, here is what I am running:
1.28.7494 MIPSR2-Toastman-RT K26 USB VPN on Netgear WNR3500 L
I have installed Optware on USB stick as described on this page, done the same with Lighttpd, exactly following the tutorial. Result: Lighttpd is working fine, on WAN (with dyndns) as well as in the local LAN, and I am forwarding port 80 on WAN to port 8081 on LAN.
So far, so good. Next thing I wanted to do was to activate SSL on Lighty. Once again, exactly following the tutorial, I successfully created a self-signed cert, added the conditional line to lighttpd.conf, added port forwarding. Result: nothing at all! HTTPS is not working, looking to be unresponsive on port 443.
- I checked port forwarding by setting mode to HTTP only and server port to 443. This works from WAN and LAN as long as SSL stays turned off. If I turn it back on, it fails.
- What I also tried was setting a different document root for SSL, which changed nothing.
- Stopping and starting Lighty from the console works without errors, and there are no entries in the error log (except the comment that the server was started successfully).
- I looked at the structure of the certificate, everything seems to be fine. Just for testing if it tries reading the cert at all, I once deliberately set a wrong path, which lead to an error when starting the server, as expected.
- Server mode "HTTP only": fine. Server mode: "HTTPS only": dead without giving errors. Server mode "HTTP + HTTPS": HTTP working, HTTPS dead. The access log only showed the HTTP access.
- I tried some slight modifications of the config files I found on other forums and websites, but this did not lead to any success.
- openssl.cnf is unchanged.
So, has anyone an idea what is going wrong here?
What error is left if port forwarding is tested working, cert is loaded, no errors from Lighty, server running, and still no HTTPS?
Thanks a lot so far!