I have been trying to get WDS working with very erratic results: the WDS connections more often than not don't come up, and when they do come up don't stay up, etc.
My router configuration setup consists of:
- selecting AP+WDS on main router and WDS on secondary router
- selecting fixed channel 6
- selecting WPA encryption
- filling in corresponding MAC addresses under "Linked with"
- enabling STP
- selecting "Router" under Advanced->Routing for secondary router
The routers I am using include RT-N16 and WNR-3500L v1 (as main router and/or secondary router) as well as the older WHR-HP-G54 and WRT54G v2 (only as secondary routers), and I've experimented with a number of different FW versions/builds (Teddy Bear, Toastman, Shibby), with essentially same results.
As such, I would like to get pointers/tips from forum members who have succeeded in making WDS work, in particular:
- what I missed in my configuration setup (as outlined above)
- which FW versions/builds you successfully used
In the absence of WDS I have been using Wireless Ethernet Bridge, for which I have a couple of questionw:
- is Tomato WET mode the same as "Repeater Bridge" mode in DD-WRT?
- is there a way to disable access to the Bridge from wireless clients?
Thanks in advance.