FYI, dropbear 2011.54 was just released. I have merged it into my local build (a straight drop-into Fedor's tomato-RT-N) and it's working well. The modders and builders may want to incorporate this update.
Changelog, with key changes for lightweight system such as embeded device bolded by me below:
2011.54 - Tuesday 8 November 2011
- Building statically works again, broke in 0.53 and 0.53.1
- Fix crash when forwarding with -R
- Fixed various leaks found by Klocwork analysis software, thanks to them for running it
- Set IPTOS_LOWDELAY for IPv6, thanks to Dave Taht
- Bind to sockets with IPV6_V6ONLY so that it works properly on systems regardless of the system-wide setting
- Added ALLOW_BLANK_PASSWORD option. Dropbear also now allows public key logins to accounts with a blank password. Thanks to Rob Landley
- Fixed case where "-K 1" keepalive for dbclient would cause a SSH_MSG_IGNORE packet to be sent
- Avoid some memory allocations in big number maths routines, improves performance slightly
- Fix symlink target for installdropbearmulti with DESTDIR set, thanks to Scottie Shore
- When requesting server allocated remote ports (-R 0:host:port) print a message informing what the port is, thanks to Ali Onur Uyar.