Are the any installation instructions for the Linksys WRT300N v1? I can't find any information and I've looked all over this site and polarcloud for an hour. I tried just going into the router's web gui and selecting the .trx file and it gave an error that read "bad or wrong image". The firmware I downloaded was the tomato-K26-1.28.9054MIPSR1-beta-Std I hope that was the right one. I have installed regular Tomato on 100s of Buffalo routers. I'm having no luck with this one, please help me.
Date: 14 May 2011 21:19
Number of posts: 9
RSS: New posts
After a few hours of searching I figured it out. Well, at least one way to do it which may or may not be the correct way. Just in case anyone needs help here are some very basic steps to installing TomatoUSB on a Linksys WRT300N v1:
1. Download tomato-K26-1.28.9054MIPSR1-beta-Std from the download section on this site. I think it was called NoUSB Std under the Kernel 2.6 (experimental) for MIPSR1 Routers. Extract the contents to a folder.
2. Go to dd-wrt.com and use the Router Database to search for WRT300N v1. Download dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt300n.bin and follow the instructions for installation.
3. After you login to DD-WRT; Do another HARD reset on your router (30/30/30)
4. Login to the DD-WRT web interface again and go to Administration and Firmware upgrade. Then browse for the tomato-K26-1.28.9054MIPSR1-beta-Std.trx you downloaded and extracted in Step 1. Click Upgrade.
5. After it completes then do yet another HARD reset (30/30/30)
If all goes well you should have TomatoUSB installed on your WRT300N v1
Hope this helps someone!
Just an FYI my WRT300N v1 running TomatoUSB is flawless! This router was taken out of an office because it was thought to be "bad". It would disconnect randomly and had all sorts of other wireless issues. So the previous owner went out and bought a different one and was about to toss the old one in the dumpster. I just happened to be there and I asked if I could have it to play with. After a new firmware this thing is rocking with no signs at all of it's previous problems.
I'm not sure. Since May I've upgraded to a Netgear WNR3500L. I'll see if I can dig up my old WRT300N and see if it will take the K26 TomataUSB VPN and report back.
@Dynaguy and anyone else looking to install VPN on the WRT300N. I was able to flash the WRT300N v1 using the tomato-K26-1.28.9054MIPSR1-beta-vpn3.6 firmware. Apparently it will support the VPN noUSB build.
You Rock dude! I was able to successfully upgrade my WRT-300N V1 using your guide. Thanks for taking the time to post this for everyone else out there trying to give new life to an old router :D
I should mention that I used the non-VPN Firmware (tomato-K26-1.28.9054MIPSR1-beta-Std) and it is NoUSB