I just thought it would be fun to share what we use TomatoUSB before.
I'll start, and skip the obvious such as ipv4/ipv6 gateway, router, dns, dhcp server, and firewall.
- File server for a 6 TB raid. (Both NFS and SAMBA)
- PXE boot server. So I don't need to burn ISO's to shiny disks to boot from them.
- Media server (so I can watch my 4.5 TB's of movies on my popcorn hour)
- Web server
- Web filtering proxy. (pivoxy)… So I can use hulu.com in Canada.
- Socks proxy (using ssh -D to freeshell.org)
- pptp vpn client, for anonymous web access, when needed
Other things I'm considering using it for:
- bittorrent client
- parental filter
- public DNS server (for my own domains)
- e-mail proxy (so I can archive my e-mail automatically on my network disks)