Hi. I intend to buy router Netgear WNR3500L but since i am total newbie in this I would like to ask you some questions. I have:
a. a laptop b/g and PC gigabit. That supposed to be the easy part.
b. a hp c3180 printer/scanner.
c. a Kingstone Datatraveller 16gb usb stick.
Reading about different firmwares I found TomatoUSB which seems to have everything I need. But I would like to make sure that I understand some things correctly:
1. It is possible to connect mentioned hp printer to TomatoUSB with scanner option working? Or printing only?
2. Does it require messing with printer's firmware in a Hotplug script? Described here:http://tomatousb.org/tut:loading-printer-s-firmware-hotplug-script or is it more automatic?
3. I want to use usb stick and printer interchangeably. Does this require mounting and unmounting everytime? Or is it possible (and easier) to buy passive usb hub?
4. What do you suggest for torrents?
5. Could you direct me to something like online “Routers for dummies” ?
I have a win7 and pclinuxos (gnome) but I have very faint idea of linux. For security I want to do MAC filtering and lowering signal strenght to minimum (small flat). Any comments on that?
Sorry to bother you with, I am sure, trivial questions but I am the kind of guy who asks first and shoots later :)