Asus RT-N16, After flashing build 51, DNS stops responding to requests after a while. Reboot seems to fix it.
It seems to be the problem in my case but only with openvpn, DNS seems unreachable: when I open a web page the browser tries endlessly to resolve host.
Rebooting fix it for a few minutes only. No problem with 'native' WAN connection or PPTP.
Check the nvram usage on Administration->Configuration page - if free nvram space is low, you'll have to erase the nvram and reconfigure manually keeping an eye on the usage.
If everything's fine in terms of nvram usage, try activating connection logging for blocked inboud and outbound connections (on the Administration->Logging page), and see if anything pops up that might give us a clue.
For further troubleshooting, post the log here, as well as the part of "sysinfo" output containing your iptables rules.
Total / Free NVRAM: 32.00 KB / 11.79 KB (36.85%)
I don't think it is the cause of problem.
I 'll try what you suggested with logs, when I'll be able to play with the configuration without being killed by my kids ;-)
What I suspect is happening is the VPN DNS servers are getting replaced by your ISP DNS on every DHCP renewal. Do you think that could be the case considering the observed behavior?
The logs I asked about (oh, and enable DHCP logging as well please) should help to figure out whether or not that's the case. Also, if you register an account with Wikidot I'll be able to PM you a test build to try - if you're interested in doing so of course.
Well, in addition to switching DNS servers the DHCP renewal could also change the default gateway ;).
Anyway, with Corbina you have another problem for which I responded in another thread, and sent you a PM.
Sorry Teddy for the delay, I haven't been able to try till now.
I have now an account…
Logs: nothing unusual concerning drop packets…. but when openvpn is up, no name resolution… so no internet.
Tried to activate Use received DNS with user-entered DNS: same result
Tried to desactivate Use internal DNS : same result.
PUBLIC IP GW 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 vlan2
VPN GW PUBLIC IP GW 255.255.255.255 UGH 0 0 0 vlan2
192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 br0
MY.PUBLIC.IP.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 vlan2
10.9.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 tun0
127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
0.0.0.0 10.9.0.1 220.127.116.11 UG 0 0 0 tun0
18.104.22.168 10.9.0.1 22.214.171.124 UG 0 0 0 tun0
0.0.0.0 PUBLIC IP GW 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 vlan2
Hope it helps
Please retest with build 52. The new build has fixed the similar problems for andlommy and Guzel.
Let me know if it works for you too, or if we need to troubleshoot further.
problem not resolved for me. I tried to add Static DNS Servers but no way (didn't try before).
I'm still with PPTP, which perhaps god enough as bandwith is considerably better than with openvpn (60% faster at least).