Hello Teddy_Bear and anyone else…
I have used the DDWRT firmware for awhile, and it was pretty solid except the QOS wasn't working as efficient, so I switched over to TomatoUSB firmware which is also very solid and the QOS is simply admazing and so easy to configure. Now here is the problem I am facing, the Wireless Signal Quality appears to be very weak on the TomatoUSB firmware compared to DDWRT not sure why that is the case… the router is left in the same position and spot before and after the Firmware change.
Router: Asus RT-N16 with TomatoUSB v1.28
Antenna: Stock Antenna
On Tomato Firmware
Noise to Floor is -85 dBm
1. Intel Wifi Link 1000 on laptop Wireless 802.11b/g/n with latest Drivers from Intel. (Mini PCI) -
- Placing Laptop next to Router Antenna - Signal Quality = 90
- 2-3 Feet away for testing - Signal Quality = 52-60
2. TPLINK Wireless N Mini PCI - TL-WN861N with Manufacturer driver (Atherios chipset)
- Main Floor Living Room (30 feet away)
- Signal Quality = 32
3. Rosewill Wireless N USB - Rosewil RNX-100N with Manufacturer driver (RaLink Chipset)
- 1 Room through 1 dry wall (10-20feet away)
- Signal Quality = 40
Here is the interesting thing… with all Hardware in the same spot/position….
I removed all 3 Antenna from the router and the result is a big drop in Signal Quality to me appears to be normal.
1. Intel Card - Signal Quality = 20
2. TPLink - Signal Quality = 0 - Can't connect
3. Rosewill - Signal Quality = 1
Now I plug in the Left Antenna ONLY (I am facing the Router LED Lights)
1. Intel Card - Signal Quality = 52-57
2. TPLink - Signal Quality = 30
3. Rosewill - Signal Quality = 38
So with 1 Left Antenna plugged in the Signal Quality made only dismal drop in quality…
Now I removed Left Antenna, Plug in only middle Antenna - Results is same as no Antenna.
Now I removed Middle Antenna, Plug in Right Antenna - Results is almost Same as No Antenna.
So Is it just my router or is anyone else experiencing the same Wireless Antenna Issue as me with the TomatoUSB v1.28 Firmware on the Asus RT-N16 Router?
All Advance Wireless configuration is left at default. The TX and RX Tranfer is left on Auto as default. I even tried Setting TX to A and RX to B and vice versa and made no difference with the above testing.
Is the TomotoUSB firmware only utilizing 1 Antenna for transfer/receive? Just wanted to see if anyone else is experiecing the same symptoms? I haven't tested this Antenna issue with DDWRT or Stock Firmware as I don't really want to revert back to do any testing unless I have to.
Please share your thoughts and testing if possible…