So I have installed Tomato firmware on my Linksys E1200v2 router. I have really narrowed down my questions regarding Tomato (Shibby) firmware features. Please help me with my questions.
0. Here’s one just as a warm-up. :) My router’s WAN LED is blinking even when all the clients are disconnected - does that mean that there’s simply so much unwanted traffic coming in from the internet and that router’s firewall is dropping all those unwanted packets?
Below I have written a couple of questions and stated a couple of features that I don’t understand and would love a brief explanation on. Thank you!
1. Advanced \ Conntrack/Netfilter:
- Tracking / NAT Helpers - FTP, GRE/PPTP, H.323, SIP, RTSP - ?
- TTL Adjust - ?
- Inbound Layer 7 - ?
- Announce IPv6 on LAN (SLAAC, DHCP) - ?
- Mute dhcpv4, dhcpv6, RA logging - ?
- By the way, why doesn’t Tomato’s DHCP service lease IP addresses in a numerical order but randomly instead?
- Enable DSCP Fix - ?
- NAT loopback, NAT target - ?
- Multicast (IGMPproxy, Udpxy) - ?
- RIPv1 & v2 - ?
- Efficient Multicast Forwarding - ?
- DHCP Routes - ?
5. Wireless Settings:
- Bluetooth Coexistence - why is this not on by default, does it weaken the WiFi performance?
- Frame Burst - does that really work?
6. Port Forwarding:
- Triggered Port Forwarding - please explain a bit how it works.
- Enable UPnP, NAT-PMP - I have it all disabled even though I’m using Skype, OpenVPN etc. Is that alright?
7. QoS - Does QoS basically only help with shaping the outgoing traffic (and not the incoming), so, would enabling and setting up the QoS improve Skype performance at all?
8. Web Administration:
- Remote Access (HTTP vs HTTPS) - Locally, when the internet is on, is it safe to use the HTTP to access the interface? What would I need to set to be able to use HTTPS instead (locally and remotely) and not lock myself out?
- SSH Daemon - Can I use the SSH Daemon to connect to the router through PuTTy? I'd like to try that just so I can learn how to do it.
- Allowed Remote IP Address - This is for entering the allowed remote IP address that will be allowed to log into the router, right?
- Allow web login as "root" - ?
-Bandwidth and IP Traffic Monitoring - Should I turn it off, is it degrading the performance?
- JFFS - what can I gain with it?
- SNMP - what can I do with it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)